Instagram introduced the ability to save Stories and create highlight covers back in December last year. More and more brands and influencers are saving their Stories so that followers can access their tips, best photos, behind-the-scenes views, and advice at any time. As a result of this, there has been an increase in the use of Instagram Stories highlight covers.
So, how do you make these covers for your highlights? It’s easy – let me show you how!
Examples of Instagram Highlight Covers
Firstly, let’s take a look at some fun and effective examples of highlight covers.
Here are the ones I’ve created for Mama Bear Communications. If you click on my highlight covers within Instagram you will see that I’ve also added text under the icon, which is visible when you are viewing the Stories.
There are a few different ways you can create these but one of the simplest ways is by using the Canva app or Adobe Spark app. I will show you both ways.
How to Make Highlight Covers for Instagram Stories
Here are the simple steps you need to follow to create your first highlight cover. I’ve included screenshots below for your reference.
- Select the ‘+’ sign to create your first cover.
- Choose whether you’d like to use a solid cover, pattern, or a photo from your camera roll as the background. In this example, I’m using a solid colour.
- Next, select your background colour. You can enter custom hex colours and/or adjust the hue by clicking on the sliding scale on the colour you like.
- Then you select the size of your design. Scroll across until you get to “Instagram Story”.
- If you don’t want any text on your cover then “tap to edit text” and delete the text box.
- After that, you will want to add an icon. Click on the ‘add’ button and then choose “add icon”. You can search for an icon very easily using the search box. Here you can edit the icon – you can adjust the colour, size and transparency.
- Once you’ve finalised your design simply click on “Share” in the top-right corner and select your background type – solid cover or transparent.
- You can then post it directly to Instagram or save the image to your Camera Roll.
You can use the desktop version or the app version of Canva. I used the desktop version but the app version is okay too. There are fewer options on the app but it’s still sufficient for most peoples needs. Here are the instructions for creating a Highlights cover on the app version.
- Select “Your Story” from the top menu.
- Tap to edit the background.
- Select whether you’d like to use an image for the background or a solid colour.
- If you click on the “+” button under “Used” you can add custom colours. Simply enter the hex number that matches your brand, or use the sliding scale to find a colour you like. Once you have picked your colour, click on the “+” icon on the bottom right to add extra elements to your design.
- Next, add some text or graphics.
- You can use some of the templates created or upload your own graphic and text. When you select “Graphics” you will be able to scroll through Canva’s library or search for icons using the search bar. Note that not all elements are free.
- Once you have selected your icon or text you can then edit the colours, positioning and size.
- Your Instagram highlight cover is now ready to share! Save your icon to your Camera Roll and upload it to Instagram.
How to Upload the Covers to Instagram Stories
Canva does not allow you to post directly to Instagram Stories. This means you will need to save the covers to your Camera Roll.
To save the Highlight covers to Instagram, simply upload the cover to Instagram Stories. Then select “Highlight” in the bottom right-hand corner. From here you will select where you want to save your highlights, and edit the cover as needed.
Free Instagram Stories Highlight Covers
Would you like FREE Instagram highlight covers? Click on the image below to download these five designs. If you are already subscribed to the Mama Bear Communications email list, click here and enter your password to access the Resource Library.
For more information on how to increase your engagement through Instagram Stories, click here.
Feel free to share
If you like this post, please feel free to share.